The wise words of Lao Tsu

*This too will pass * When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be * When you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to * Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Home cooked Treats !

The food here in Yichang is mostly very good and very tasty! There are so many restaurants here and I get to try them regularly. The other week I tried Korean food which was really nice and quite different to Chinese food. There is an Indian restaurant down town that also sells Japanese food and is run by Chinese people :-)many Western style restaurants (like I mentioned recently)and also good ole' Macca's, K.F.C and Pizza Hut. The Chinese restaurants always have plenty of tasty dishes to choose from and I have a couple of favourite places to eat at...but...like back in Australia....Nothing beats a "Home Cooked Meal". Within the last week or so I was lucky enough to have two opportunities to taste authentic Home style Chinese cooking. The first time was when I joined the other J3 English teachers at Mabel's new apartment. Mabel really is a very good cook and I have to say it seems kind of rare to see young women cooking at home much here in China. It is very different to Australia as many families still eat together at their parents houses or still live with their parents who usually do the cooking. Mabel really is an outstanding cook though and she cooked so much food for us to munch into. I have to show you a picture of the amazing Chinese style cooker...Fascinating...I've never seen anything like it before.




The next meal was very special for me ...not only was it my most favourite food in Yichang but I got to experience a real family atmosphere of home. Netties Mum and Dad often cook extra food for Nettie to bring over to my place for my lunch. I love her Mums cooking and I have mentioned before how good her Dad is at making "Jaozi". I was treated to beautiful food and I loved the atmosphere at their home...They are similar ages to my parents and it felt good to be there, very comfortable. Unfortunately I didn't get photos here but next time !
People are always asking me what is my favourite food here in China....I will not be rushed into such important decisions (LOL)but I have to say that these two home cooked meals have registered TWO dishes on my list... Sweet and Sour Pork, Netties Mum cooks this to perfection AND Steamed Pork...which Mabel cooks beautifully!
NOW the good news is that there is also a restaurant that serves homestyle cooking and both of these dishes are on the menu AND it's near "Walking Street"!So if I get the cravings I can head there :-)It's not as good as the real deal but still very tasty.
I should also add "Jaozi" to my list ...but...I have not yet found any "Jaozi"
that tastes anywhere near as good as the what Netties Dad makes... I will keep searching !

2 comments:

Nettie said...

You've done a great job telling Australians the truth: the most important thing in China is EATING! :-)

Unknown said...

Well Thanks :-) I think I understand that now !