The wise words of Lao Tsu

*This too will pass * When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be * When you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to * Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ever have a bad day?

OK...Whilst the net was down it happened that I had a bad day! I wanted to write...it kind of helps....so I saved it on file and thought I can add it when I get back on line. My frustrations are not ever really with China but more with myself. If I have a bad day like the following blog it is usually because my perceptions take on a negative view. All it took was a bit of understanding from a friend and my day brightened considerably :-) But I still want to post the blog because it may give some of you an insight on what living here can be like sometimes! Reading back on it now...it looks like nothing. Maybe sometimes you do just miss home, familiar people, places and food and it makes you a bit emotional. Read on .....


Ever have a bad day where things just escalate and get worse and worse. I know that we often attract it when we get in a bad mood and it works like a magnet and it seems to draw negative energy...but today is something special, intriguing and painful to watch. I had spent the morning in a “nobody understands me because I'm Australian” mood. I had been thinking about the fact that most people here in Yichang who have worked with or known foreigners have mostly known Americans and not Australians. I believe that we are very different in Australia. My point was recently backed by a well known American motivational speaker who said Australians often encounter problems because of the strict, regulated, controlled, ruled society we live in. When things don't go according to plan or we break some kind of golden rule...we literally have the ability to fall in a hole and feel like the world is coming to an end. Only Australia can manifest this lifestyle SO WELL !
Maybe you can't imagine the lifestyle here in China? But it is like the country runs on some kind of chaos theory. Things constantly change yearly, monthly, weekly, daily, hourly and also by the minute and second. This is why I think it is often the case that people invite you out while standing downstairs from your apartment...because you can't plan for the future here...not even from a morning to afternoon basis. Shops and buildings come and go on a regular basis and even the weather here in Yichang can jump from 16degrees to 37degrees and back again in two /three days. It was with a few days notice (BONUS) that I found out I had Wed,Thurs and Fri off from teaching this week due to mid term exams. Me being me, I left much stuff to do until Friday (today). Well just as I was going out to go downtown for grocery shopping and some other chores I was informed that J1 had now finished their exams and I had to teach P4 and P6 today...one before lunch and one just before 3.00...there...in the speed of a text went my days plans...frustrated already by my thoughts throughout the morning, this just added to my dissatisfaction. Anyway, now I had to come up with a lesson plan as I wasn't expecting to teach J1 until Monday...so I set to work organising what I would teach. I settled down and then as the class drew near got ready to go and teach....THEN a phone call...Now the two classes had been merged into one and I didn't have to teach until the 6th period in the afternoon. I could have gone shopping and did my chores after all!
The thing is this kind of thing happens here...ALL THE TIME...it's not just a rare occurrence....so for many foreigners it takes some getting used to.
I try to incorporate many Buddhist practices into my everyday life and living in the moment is one things I do try and practice. Living here is giving me plenty of reminders of the saying....”The only thing certain about your future...is that your future is uncertain”
The day just seemed to snowball into one dissatisfying moment to the next, each one I watched with curiosity (my new hobby) as I watched how I was managing to do a really good job of feeling sorry for myself.
Everything changes ! And in China no truer words can be spoken :-)

No comments: